The Japan Sanitary Equipment Industry Association, whose members include.
The organisation said (in Japanese) that it hoped its eight new pictograms would make things easier for non-Japanese speakers and create "a toilet environment that anyone can use with peace of mind".
The symbols will also be uncurled on modular devices that retrofit regular toilets.
Under new guidelines, manufacturers will use the same eight pictograms to tell users which button flushes, which one fires a frighteningly accurate jet of water at the backside and what to press to close the lid.
Japan has been drawing record numbers of tourists in recent years and Tokyo is expecting millions of visitors when it hosts the Rugby World Cup in 2019 and the Olympic Games in 2020.
Sisters Kimberly and Kelly Yates who went missing in 1985 FOUND ALIVE
Two sisters who were kidnapped by their mother in 1985 during an ugly custody battle have been found alive and well in Houston. As of Tuesday, she was en route to Rhode Island, after waiving extradition and being arraigned in Houston, police said.
Right, think we've offended quite enough races for one day.
An association of Japanese toilet makers said Tuesday that they will unify pictograms on their toilets with warm-water shower units to help foreign visitors better understand the symbols and use the functions easily.
But now an industry group has chose to flush away this confusion that particularly bogs down foreign tourists by unifying the confusing symbols.
▼ Kitamura (below, centre) says one of the aims of the association is for the new symbols to be adopted as global standards.
As more foreigners choose Japan as a holiday destination, the country's toilet manufacturers have joined forces to simplify the sometimes complicated business of washing and drying Japanese style.
- Juventus unveil dramatic change to club logo
- India raises CPEC, raps China for insensitivity
- Trump's wax figure unveiled at Madame Tussauds in DC
- Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness retires from politics
- Are Carmelo's New York Days Numbered?
- Before Running for President, Trump Described Russia as "Our Biggest Problem"
- Alexandria Vera jailed after getting pregnant by pupil, 13
- SpaceX returns to flight
- Donald Trump Warns BMW With Border Tax For Cars Built In Mexico
- Eli Lilly Buys Pharmaceutical Company CoLucid for $960 Million