The Honda Ridgeline midsize pickup received 364 points to beat the Ford F-series Super Duty, 193, and Nissan Titan, 72.
The process of selecting the Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the year starts in June by identifying vehicles eligible for the awards. The Bolt EV, Pacifica, and Ridgeline were selected from a group of finalists that included the Genesis G90 and Volvo S90 for auto of the year; Ford Super Duty and Nissan Titan for truck of the year; and, Jaguar F-Pace and Mazda CX-9 for utility vehicle of the year.
Sharon Carty of Automotive News was one of the jurors for the award.
Along with the Bolt's win in the auto category, the Chrysler Pacifica and Honda Ridgeline were named the top vehicles in the Utility and Truck categories, respectively.
Google Nexus 6 finally receives official Android 7.1.1 Nougat
Factory images and OTA updates are now available for the "shamu" smartphone to the latest and greatest Android version available. Last month Google released Android 7.1.1 for the Pixel and Nexus devices, so now its time for security update.
It was designed by retired GM design director Ed Welburn.
The Bolt is estimated to go 238 miles on a single charge.
The Ridgeline was engineered to offer a pickup bed for cargo on a car-style chassis that delivers a smoother ride than most pickups. Now they've added a third category, "Utility Vehicle of the Year". The Pacifica Hybrid, which is the world's first plug-in minivan, uses a modified version of the 3.6-liter engine mated to an electronically variable transmission.
The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, the first mass-market, affordable electric vehicle from a domestic automaker is the 2017 North American vehicle of the Year, the committee announced Monday at the Detroit auto show. Ford last week scrapped plans to build a $1.6 billion small-car factory in Mexico, and said $700 million would go toward expanding a MI plant to build new electric and autonomous vehicles.
60 journalists from the United States and Canada drove the vehicles for a full years before the decisions were made. Nominees must be new or substantially changed to qualify.
- BMW to place 40 self-drive cars on U.S. and European roads
- Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine declares for 2017 NFL Draft
- FA Cup: Preston 1-2 Arsenal - Gunners fight back to win
- Video captures shooting of U.S. consular official in Mexico
- Andromeda will not feature a season pass
- Audi Q8, Faraday Future FF 91, Ford Mustang Hybrid
- Spoilers: WWE's Current Plans For Charlotte Flair's Feud With Bayley
- Mystery cosmic radio bursts pinpointed
- United States of America wins World Juniors gold in shootout thriller over Canada
- Three things to know: Raiders (5) at Texans (4) wild-card preview