Not all of the state's wells operate simultaneously, Oklahoma Corporation Commission spokesman Matt Skinner said.
Texas officials believe it is unlikely for disposal wells to be a major cause or if we are even likely to see an quake like this one in our area anytime soon. The commission has no jurisdiction in Osage County, but it recommended the EPA order wells shut within an oblong area of interest that stretches over 725 square miles of Pawnee and Osage counties.
An increase in magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma has been linked to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production, and since 2013, the commission has asked wastewater-well owners to reduce disposal volumes in parts of the state where the temblors have been most frequent. The epicenter was near Pawnee. Oklahoma State University also reported several buildings at the Stillwater campus sustained damage, but all of those were determined by structural engineers to be safe for occupancy.
Oklahoma's Governor Mary Fallin, a Republican, declared a state of emergency after the latest incident.
Chicago Bears sign Pro-Bowl guard Josh Sitton
How the Packers plan to fill a sizable hole at left guard wasn't immediately known with the team off for the weekend. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter , the three-time Pro Bowl guard's free-agent tour will begin in Chicago .
Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
The Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association told The Wall Street Journal that the state's response could have a negative impact on oil and gas production.
Meanwhile, two more earthquakes of magnitude 4.1 and 3.6 rattled northwest Oklahoma on Tuesday, in an area away from the quake on Saturday. "We can answer their insurance questions and walk them through the claims process". Emergency Management Director Mark Randell said emergency officials and the U.S. Geological Survey are examining the area and finding only minor to moderate damage.
- Henrik Stenson withdraws from The Barclays, citing knee injury
- Serena Williams reaches last 16 of US Open
- Mother: Family 'deeply grieving' boy who disappeared in 1989
- $3 million in jewels missing from Drake, Future tour bus
- Panthers' Ron Rivera isn't crazy about Thursday opener in Denver
- Pence set to release tax returns next week
- Suspect in McDonald's slaying escapes from custody
- Saudi Arabia scores 2 late penalties in World Cup qualifying
- Obama vows to work to tighten sanctions on North Korea
- Raddatz Grills Kaine on Clinton Emails: Don't Americans 'Deserve a Better Explanation'?