Former Naxalite and gangster Nayeem was killed in a gunfight with the local police in Shadnagar, 60 km from Hyderabad, on Monday morning. He allegedly became a covert operative for police and eliminated several top Maoists and their sympathisers, according to sources.
Mahabubnagar police confirmed that the operation began at 8:30 am but refused to give more information.
Armed policemen surrounded the house, following a tip-off about presence of the gangster.
The SP, who visited the scene of the encounter, said the police were in pursuit of the vehicle in which the victim was travelling after his involvement in a case of extortion registered in Dichpally police limits of Nizamabad district. When Nayeem and his associates tried to fire against police, the police also fired resulting in an encounter. Nayeem was wanted in about 100 high-profile cases of extortion, murder and kidnap cases in several districts including his native Nalgonda, Mahbubngar, Rangareddy and Medak districts of Telangana.
Winnipeggers light candles to remember nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
At the ceremony, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged his determination to work toward a world free of nuclear arms. Survivors of the atomic explosions at Hiroshima or Nagasaki are called Hibakusha, and their average age is 80.
Going by the alias Nayeem, this renegade naxal leader had given the police a slip back in 2007. They had also complained that they had received veiled threats from Nayeemuddin not to intervene in his activities.
There are more than 20 murder cases against him. He was also was an accused in the murder of civil rights activists Purshottam and Niranjan and folk singer Belli Lalitha among others.
The gangster had escaped from police custody 11 times.
- Skinner braves wind, technical issues to win Olympic gold
- Russian Federation denies its diplomat had deadly fight with Rio mugger
- State health workers confirm additional Zika virus cases
- Olympics-Swimming-Ledecky lights up pool with Phelps yet to come
- All Russian Athletes Banned From Paralympics
- American teen wins first gold of Rio Olympic Games
- Donald Trump wants world to know he 'loves babies'
- Hillary Clinton: I'll be a president for all Americans
- Iran hangs nuclear scientist over United States 'treason'
- Global Ballistic Missile Threats Beginning to Outpace US Defense Capability