This is especially disappointing when compared to the original 1996 film, which made over $50 million during it's opening weekend. Finding Dory beats Independence Day Resurgence easily.
'Dory, ' voiced by Ellen DeGeneres, follows a forgetful fish on a quest to find her parents, much as she did as a supporting character in the 2003 animated hit 'Finding Nemo'. Resurgence placed second with revenue of US$41.6 million, short of forecasts.
Finding Dory had a successful second weekend slipping just 45.8 percent to take in $73.23M for a new domestic total of $286.55M in the US and $396.85M globally. Shallows earned a B+ CinemaScore from audiences.
Blake Lively's new shark-attack thriller The Shallows debuts at four with a $16.7 million (£12.2 million) first weekend haul, and Oscar victor Matthew McConaughey's new historical drama Free State of Jones rounds out the USA box office top five with a lowly $7.7 million (£5.6 million).
Rob Kardashian has felt his baby move
It happened, like, spontaneously, that's why you guys weren't in the loop, 'cause I was gonna do this regardless. People were asking us and we were like 'we don't even know if it's true".
"Finding Dory" adds another No. 1 at the weekend box office for Disney, it's the impressive twelfth winning for Disney out of 26 weeks into 2016. Chris Aronson, head of distribution for Fox, acknowledged the result was on the lower side of our prognostications. Resurgence, however, took in $102 million overseas, where it ironically, for a movie named after the United States declaration of independence is doing better business.We always expected worldwide to carry the baton, Aronson said.
The movie's net budget is $50 million.
Last week, Finding Dory not only managed to out-draw Finding Nemo in its first week at the domestic box office, but to break the all-time record for the biggest opening by an animated movie.
- Turkish police detain 11 more suspects over airport attack
- 83 people killed in 2 bombings in Baghdad
- Cleveland relaxes rules on protest marches at GOP convention
- Bismack Biyombo, Magic Agree To Four-Year Deal
- Bulls trade Derrick Rose to Knicks
- England struggled with the pressure against Iceland - Kompany
- Andy Murray cruises past Lu
- ISIL Claims Responsibility For Baghdad Bombing
- Attorney general visiting Orlando in wake of deadly attack
- Amazon 'Prime Day' sales gimmick is back this July